My Little Piggies

I currently have five beautiful little guinea pigs, in total I've had seven but two unfortunately passed away. Before I met my partner I used to always be surrounded by animals - dogs, parrots, hamsters, fish, chipmunks... the list goes on.



Dogs have been the biggest part of my life and I was really emotional when we had to put my dog down after 14 amazing years!

My Beautiful Sam

It sounds harsh but the next day we got another dog as the house was so empty, no one could stand it. He will never be replaced as he was the most loyal dog I've ever met! He was also a great judge of character ha!

Maddie (Lying down) and her new friend Jack (on watch)

We bought Maddie from a friend of a friend, she was a very nervous, very needy dog. She was locked up and left A LOT so when you would leave her she would panic and get very stressed. It was very sad, it also caused her to get very excited when we came back and as she is quite a big dog, it wasn't the best. She has settled in quite well, however as my dad is normally always in the house, when he goes out she still gets stressed even if we are there. However, now that she has a partner in crime she copes so much better!

So when I moved out and there were no pets around, I did start to feel a bit empty. Not because of anything else just not having a little friend to cuddle, or to randomly talk to and not feel crazy. 

When I went to Florida in 2012 I was going away with my best friend and their mam and dad, and was going to miss my partner's 21st birthday! Which was awful, so because I felt bad that I wasn't going to be there I decided to get her guinea pigs to keep her company. 

Now, don't get me wrong PETS AREN'T GIFTS, they aren't something to buy on a whim. They are a commitment, for however long they live by buying them you are promising them you will look after them through sickness and in health. Yeah, like marriage vows apart from you can't divorce a pet!

Around October that year we bought two guinea pigs, as they like to live in groups. We went to a pets at home store and were told that the ones on the shop floor were ill but that they are some out the back. SHe came out with two tiny cute balls of fluff and we were in love!

Toffee and Rhino
This was the first time I had been near a guinea pig, so I listened to all the advice that the staff gave and followed it quite strictly. Just after bonfire night, only a week after we had gotten them Toffee had passed. I think I very quickly went through the 5 or 6 stages of loss and just became really angry with pets at home. As I said before I have had pets in the past and even after years and years of having dogs they have never really been ill or died. I rang them up and to be very honest they were very understanding and said they would replace the guinea pig, which isn't really what I wanted, I don't like any animal being replaced as they are all different - just like us.

They gave us a spare cage so we could integrate them properly - as they can be quite territorial. But if I am honest these two were perfect together from the first time they met.

Squeaky
Soon after I came back from holiday we went back to pets at home to buy them food and hay. We spotted two really cute piggies and couldn't resist.

Honey

Tiger (AKA Roo)

We tried to integrate them all but squeaky and roo didn't really get on so they now live separately but when they are out in the run they can see eachother. 

Then. finally last year, again and pets at home, we seen two beautiful boys in the adoption section. They had just been abandoned. The staff did say they had a full piggie MOT but after a week, Gregg sadly passed away. However, his pal Elvis is happy with his Mickey Mouse toy.

Elvis
Gregg

Sorry about the ramblings of this post, I love animals and I thought that my piggies deserved at least one post.

xo 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Makeup products - Feb 2015

Dear Blog #13 - Vinyl Obsession!