Old school cake - Recipe

Who out there remembers the cake we used to get at school, with pink icing and sprinkles?

Well, I do, and let me tell you I was so happy when I found this recipe. It isn't mine, I don't know exactly who wrote it, I just saw it on a Facebook post and have saved it. It was in a strange order and so I thought I would pop it on here. Mainly so I don't have to keep searching on Facebook!!









Ingredients

Sponge
200g Butter
175g caster sugar
1tsp vanilla essence/extract
3 eggs
200g self-raising slower

Decoration
225g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp water
Sprinkles
optional food colouring
Method
Preheat oven to 160c or 140 for fan assisted.

Grease and line tin. I used a square tin, nothing too big.

Cream the butter and sugar together until it goes a bit more pale and fluffy.

Add vanilla and eggs, I add them one at a time to make sure they are well mixed.

Add flour in stages, I sift it as well to give it a little bit extra air.

Add the mixture to the lined tray and smooth down.
Put the tray in the preheated oven, now the recipe I looked at says for 25 minutes but in my experience, it has always been 35. I would set a timer for 25 and check every five minutes until it is golden brown.

Once the cake has cooked, leave to cool in the tin for at least 15 minutes and then take it out of the tine to cool completely before icing.

Add the icing sugar and mix with water, adding a bit at a time. once it is a pourable consistency add food colouring if using and pour over cake. Add the sprinkles and leave to set.

I have made this a few times in lockdown, it goes down a treat each time. the other half and the neighbours love it. It is really simple too! Give it a try and send me your comments and pic on Instagram.

xo




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Current Makeup products - Feb 2015

Dear Blog #13 - Vinyl Obsession!